Wednesday 12 August 2009

Crystal Palace - August 11th

My second attempt at Palace but first with a full licence. Attempt number one I made it through 10 laps before getting spat off the back, doing another 10 solo before getting lapped and deciding that was enough punishment. It's a beautiful, sunny evening and I definitely have more in the legs than last time so hopefully I can do something better.

The Race
After a warm up lap I make my way to the start but I'm right near the back - this is a mistake! The flag drops and the pace is hellish from the off. It's really congested and you're at the mercy of other riders not slicing you up. After the deadman's curve we hit the ramp and riders are dropping off already. The pace for the first 6 or so laps is relentless but I just about hold on to the back of the lead group. At about lap 20 there are only 20 or so riders left in the lead group but as we hit the ramp I lose touch and the gap soon engulfs my chances. I plug on and soon there are three of us (including a E/1/2 rider who's been dropped) making our way round. We pass lots of dropped riders but I'm near the rivet. At about 8 laps to go I find a bit more stamina and I eventually drop the other two and complete the race having not been lapped. I'm delighted when I discover I finished in the Top 20 (err, 20th).

No comments:

Post a Comment