Friday 8 January 2010

Hillingdon Winter Series - Races 5 and 6

Racing on the January 1st - crazy right? Yep, that's what my friends all thought when I left the boozer sometime between 1 and 2am when the drinks were flowing. It was a 50:50 decision but some how the urge to race overcame my desire for another Laphraoig. Maybe I need help.
Race morning, hangover, no time for prep or even porridge - Bran flakes instead. Cold and chilly at Hillingdon but a good turnout of T-Totalers and the race obsessives. Tim Benham was on the start line so he was the man to watch. I spent most of the race near the front or at the front and jumped on to all the promising breakaways. Really enjoyed the race today. Ended in a bunch sprint - I was in a great position again but just drifted off the front 3 to end 4th. Tim Benham won.

Imperial Winter Series - Race 6
Perhaps a degree warmer than yesterday and a massive turnout for the thirds. Started racing near the front again. Even pulled a breakaway with 2 others round an entire lap only to see the peloton close down on us all too easily. I think I'll need to go into the red to make a break stick rather than hoping for an amicable split from the pack next time. Decided to move to the back to see who was there and spent the rest of the race in the shadows until the last few laps. I was badly positioned on the second last corner so sprinted to move to the front. Loads of shouts alerting to my move - think I'm a marked man. Unfortunately I made a shocking decision to ease up to find a wheel before the final charge rather than just going for the line. Soon found myself surrounded and blocked in. No points, not even series points! 16th - meh.

No comments:

Post a Comment