Saturday 16 January 2010

Hillingdon Winter Series - Races 7 and 8

Race 7 was fell victim to Britain's mini ice age. About a foot of snow blanketed the Hillingdon track and sub zero temperatures meant it wasn't shifting anywhere fast. Instead I took to the MTB for some snowy rides round Richmond Park - great fun and a good workout.
Race 8
Like Team Sky's thin line between success and failure there's also a fine line between an ordeal and enjoying yourself when it comes to road racing. There was no snow left in London so the race was on. Heavy rain was predicted however so there was a fair bit of umming and ahhing about whether to turn up. It was dry when I set off but half way there the heavens opened and I got drenched. I made a futile attempt to dehydrate my kit under the air dryers but during the race the rain fell hard. Conditions were pretty tough - I was cold, wet and my eyes were puffed up with all the rain and grit flying into them. Nobody made any breaks (other than Jai from Paragons well-timed break for the prime) until Jimbo launched into the ether 20 minutes in. I sprinted to get on his wheel and forged ahead. I pulled for 3/4 of a lap them flicked the elbow for James to take over only to see him sit up! I was gutted - we'd established quite a gap and the 4ths peloton were only just ahead. Didn't feel up to 40 minutes TTing it so I sat up and joined the back of the peloton.
The 5 laps to go board came up so I moved my way forward steadily and with 3 laps to go I was nicely tucked away in the top 10. With 2 laps to go Andy from KW made a break which gave me a great opportunity to move into attack position and then on the final lap Jimbo went on the back straight keeping the line ordered. On the final curve I was able to sneak in right behind a couple of riders who started their sprints early before launching myself 200m from the line. 5 of us were in full sprint - 15m from the line I was just ahead but by the line I was just pipped into 3rd.
Post race I bought two teas but ended up loosing half of each to the cold shakes - I was that cold. 7 points, 9 away from 2nd Cat. Still think I could give it more in the sprint but that's a reassuring thing. So in the end just the right side of the ordeal/enjoyment line.

Place Club Series points
1st w 31 Steven Jackson Rollapaluza CC 3 200
2ndw 44 Nathan Smith London Phoenix 3 150
3rd w 41 Alan Strang Dulwich Paragon 3 130
4th w 91 Ed Rose Progression Fitness 3 120
5th w 6 Mark Northover CC Giro 3 110
6th w 46 Andy Angwin London Phoenix 3 100
7th w 17 Calum MacLean Edinburgh RC 3 90
8th w 87 Josh Maynard Welwyn Wheelers 3J 80
9th w 60 Peter Dixon Willesden CC 3 70
10th w 77 Paul Stedman Reading CC 3 60
11th w 55 Andy Edwards Kingston Wheelers CC 3 50
12th w 63 wayne thomas Reading CC 3V 40
13th w 97 Andrew Stronge London Dynamo 3 30
14th w 86 James Dunsbier London Dynamo 3 20
15th w 10 Gregg James Behind The Bike Shed 3 10
16th w 85 Simon North Hemel Hempstead CC/TORQ 3
17th w 2 Paul Redman Thames Velo 3
18th w 93 Jai Watson Dulwich Paragon CC 3
19th ? Aragon bike
20th w 76 Peter Jones Hillingdon Cycling Club 3
21st w 29 Ralph Keeler Cambridge CC 3
22nd w 92 Matt Treadwell Twickenham CC 3
23rd w 94 Gareth Welch Dulwich Paragon 3
24th w 43 Phillip Burgess Norwood Paragon CC 3
25th w 42 William Platt Kingston Wheelers CC 3
26th w 4 Robin Osborne London Dynamo CC 3

1 comment:

  1. Well done Alan, reading this almost makes me wish I'd raced the winter season again this year. Richard. http://lbrc.org

    ReplyDelete